Happy weekend, friends! I hope you’ve had a great week. My allergies kicked me in the face this week, but I still managed to be relatively productive. Anyone else struggling with allergies this time of year? How do you get rid of them?
Any who, let’s hop into the meal recap, shall we?
- I didn’t write much down for Sunday, but I had chocolate almond cereal for breakfast.
- Dinner consisted of Florentine pizza and garlic knots.
- Breakfast: Blueberry Greek yogurt, vanilla almond cereal with almond milk, and coffee
- Snack: Simply Balanced mixed berry and veggie strips
- Lunch: 5 ingredient black bean soup and brown rice
- Dinner: Mashed potatoes and peas. I got home really late after an advisory board meeting at work, so I was being lazy.
- Breakfast: Coffee, lemon Greek yogurt, and more cereal.
- Snack: Trail mix with chocolate and raisins
- Lunch: The last of the black bean soup and rice
- Dinner: Breakfast enchiladas! More on that recipe later.
Side note: I may or may not have eaten a bunch of cookies and candy in between meals this week…
- Breakfast: Blood orange Greek yogurt and coffee.
- Snack: Cheez-Its and guacamole. Don’t knock it until you try it!
- Lunch: Breakfast enchiladas.
- Dinner: Gardein beefless burger and zesty curly fries. I love the Gardein burgers because I can pronounce all of the ingredients, so I know exactly what I’m putting into my body. They’re also super tasty. John does a great job with them on the grill!
- I had a particularly busy day Thursday, so I did not manage to write much down. I went to Chili’s after a skate and shoot and had some nachos, but that’s all I can really recall.
- Breakfast: Are you surprised? Coffee and cafe latte Greek yogurt.
- Lunch: Here’s the real surprise; I had the cereal for lunch.
- Dinner: Frozen 4 cheese pizza while we got ready to head to my brother’s to house/dog sit for the weekend.
Saturday, we spent some time up in the Seminole Heights area. I had some amazing meals that I’ll talk about in a little travelog to be posted soon!
I was inspired by this post from Let’s Dish to create a meatless breakfast enchilada. I love enchiladas and breakfast, so putting them together was a no brainer! It was so simple to prep and cook, but I think I’ll make a few adjustments the next time; like adding a black bean spread or cutting the Greek yogurt with sour cream.
Ok, on to the recipe!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 whole eggs (may go with just egg whites next time)
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whole wheat tortillas
White sauce (loosely adapted with this recipe):
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 4 oz diced green chilis
- 1/2 tbsp chipotle powder
I forgot to add any extra liquid to the sauce, so it was a bit thick, but it was still tasty! I preheated the oven to 350º while I heated the oil and cooked the onions. Then, I added the eggs and scrambled them up. I added the salt, pepper, and cheese just before taking the pan off the heat and rolled up some of the filling into the tortillas. I added these rolls into a casserole dish and poured the sauce over top (prepared by melting the butter in a pot, adding the flour to make a rue, then whisking in the other ingredients until thickened). I topped that with diced red and green bell peppers and more cheese and baked for 15 minutes.
Of course, I intelligently did not take any photos of my creation, so here’s a gratuitous photo of my mini fridge at work, instead. I tried to fill it up with good stuff, but you can still see some of my little cheating snacks.
On a quick side note: I tried kombucha for the first time this week. I didn’t notice it said to, “swirl gently,” on the side of the bottle, so I shook it and almost ended up with half of it on the kitchen floor. Fun fact, kombucha foams quite a bit when shaken, not stirred.
I only made it to the gym once this week and it was a quick trip. I did 25 minutes of cardio and then focused on abs mostly.
- V-Ups – 3×15 at bodyweight
- Russian Twists – 3×20 at bodyweight
- Reverse Russian Twists – 3×12 at bodyweight
- These are great for the lower abs. I put my water bottle at the end of the mat and get in a position similar to a v-up. Then I lift both legs up and over the water bottle and back again.
I did a skate and shoot session on Thursday to get a little ice time in while I’m between hockey seasons. I met up with a couple other guys from my league and we had a great practice together. I’m currently working on lifting the puck with a concentration on accuracy. I just have to get better about keeping my arms away from my body to give myself more space to snap the top hand back on the shot.